I was just sexually assaulted, what should I do?

Remember, it's not your fault.  You are not alone.

First, make sure you are in a safe place.  Find a place where you are safe from the harm.  If you need immediate assistance, call 911 right away, or please go to the emergency room.

Do you have a safe person you can talk to?  Who do you have in your life that can provide you with support?  Remember, you do not have to disclose this information, however it may be important to have additional support.  You can always visit a CARE Advocate for support or utilize a hotline service.

You do have options.  Do you want to report this?  As a student you have options to report to Title IX (if both parties are a student or part of the UCLA community) and also to UCLA Police.  You always have the right to have an Advocate present.  You do not have to go alone.

Do you want to get a forensic examination for evidence collection?  You can receive this at the Rape Treatment Center in Santa Monica up to five days after an assault.  This is to gather any physical evidence if you want to, or may want to file a criminal report.  If this is an option for you, preserving as much evidence as you can is helpful.  If able, try not to bathe, shower, eat, drink, or brush your teeth.  If you have clothes, sheets, etc. you can place them in a brown paper bag for collection. 

It may be helpful to seek medical attention/preventative care after an assault.  It may be important to check for pregnancy risks or STI's.

Seek out support from a CARE Advocate. They can provide you with resources, options, and emotional support.

Remember, it is not your fault. 

I am not sure if I want to report, but I feel unsafe on campus.

Sometimes deciding whether or not to report can be hard.  It may be helpful to talk to a CARE Advocate to see your options for reporting.

The CARE Advocate can also create a safety plan with you.  There are also options such as a No Contact Directive or Stay Away order for students.  You can talk to you CARE Advocate about these options.

CARE is confidential. What does 'confidential' mean?

Our CARE advocates are confidential. That means that any information a client discloses to a CARE Advocate cannot be shared to anyone outside of CARE without the client's consent. Exceptions to this include instances in which the client is likely to harm themselves or others, or lacks the capacity to care for themselves, or an instance in which the client reports child abuse or elder abuse. If you do want the advocate to share information about you outside of CARE, they can have you sign a release of information form. 

I do not remember everything, can I still report?

Yes, you can still report.

The assault happened a long time ago or off campus. Can I still get help?

Yes! Our CARE Advocates can meet with you and offer resources that might fit your needs. We provide space for all survivors, regardless of their situation. If you feel as if you don't want case management help, but do want healing options, consider checking out our alternative healing programs, or counseling at CAPS. 

I'm not a UCLA student. Can I access CARE?

UCLA CARE offers advocacy to any current UCLA student, staff, or faculty member. If you do not identify as any of those, but feel like you could be eligible, please reach out at advocate@careprogram.ucla.edu

How much does CARE cost?

It is free to meet with a CARE Advocate. They may refer clients to resources that cost time or money, but the initial appointments with CARE Advocates cost nothing and we do not require proof of insurance. You can reach them at advocate@careprogram.ucla.edu. 

How can I volunteer for CARE?

CARE is a younger program, and we are still finalizing the details of our volunteer programs. In the meantime, you can be added to our email list for quarterly updates on programs and events. To be added, please email admin@careprogram.ucla.edu. In the spring quarter, we will take applications for undergraduate CARE interns. 

I told a UCLA Staff member about my sexual assault, why are people outreaching to me?

Since you are a student, many staff and faculty are considered mandated reporters.  If you were to disclose a sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking to a staff or faculty member, they may have to report this to Title IX.  This includes but is not limited to: professors, resident assistants, nurses, doctors, teaching assistants, advisors, etc. 

This does not include the CARE office, Counseling Center, or Ombuds Office on campus.

If it is reported to Title IX, you do not necessarily have to move forward with a report.  You can talk to a CARE Advocate about your options.

I was assaulted my first year in college, and still see this person on campus. Can I still report?

Yes.  You can report this to either UCLA Police or Title IX.  You have the option to report to either or both. 

If you decide that you want to report to both, it may be helpful to visit an Advocate first, to help you set up an appointment with both UCLA PD and Title IX.  That way it lessens the amount of times you have to talk about your experience. 

How do I file for a restraining order?

First, it is important to decide which restraining order to file for.  If you were in a dating relationship, you would file for a Domestic Violence Restraining Order.  Others, would be filed as a Civil Harassment Restraining Order (can include sexual assault, stalking, etc.).

It may be helpful to outreach the CARE Advocate to discuss the process further.  Otherwise, you can go here to learn more about obtaining a restraining order in California.

Typically you would go to the Santa Monica Courthouse to file for a restraining order:  1725 Main St. Santa Monica, CA 90401 Room 121 First Floor.

They also have legal advocates to support you while filling out your paperwork.

What is Consent?

Consent is informed: Consent is an unambiguous, affirmative, and conscious decision by each person, to engage in mutually agreed-upon sexual activity.

Consent is voluntary: Consent means a willing person and positive cooperation in an act, or expressing a desire to engage in an act.  A person can only give their true consent if there is no force, threat,s, or intimidation.  Silence DOES NOT mean consent.

Consent is revocable: Consent to sexual activity, on one occasion, does not mean consent has been given to any form of sexual activity, on any occasion.  A past dating experience or sexual relationship, by itself, is not enough to assume consent.  Even in the context of a relationship, there always has to be mutual consent to engage in any sexual activity at any time.  Consent is ongoing; meaning at any point during a sexual encounter consent has to be given and can be withdrawn.  Once consent is withdrawn, the sexual activity must STOP immediately.

Consent cannot be given when a person is incapacitated:  Incapacitation is the physical and/or mental inability to make informed, rational judgments.  States of incapacitation may include, but are not limited to, unconsciousness, sleep, and blackouts.  Incapacitation may be caused by alcohol, drugs, or other medications.

A person cannot consent if they are unable to understand the act because of a physical or mental impairment. 

What is Sexual Violence?

Sexual Violence is conduct of a sexual nature engaged in without consent of the other person, or when the other person is unable to consent.  Sexual Violence includes any of the following: sexual assault, sexual battery, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.

What is Sexual Assault and Sexual Battery?

This occurs when physical, sexual activity is engaged without the consent of the other person, or when the other person is unable to consent to the activity.  The activity or conduct may include the following: physical force, violence, threat, intimidation, ignoring the objections of the other person, causing the other person's intoxication or incapacitation (through the use of drugs or alcohol), or taking advantage of the other person's incapacitation (including voluntary intoxication).

What is Domestic or Dating Violence?

Dating Violence includes abuse committed by a person who is, or has been, in a romantic relationship and/or intimate relationship with the survivor.

Domestic Violence includes abuse committed against an adult or a minor who is a spouse or former spouse; a cohabitant or former cohabitant; or someone with whom the abuser has a child, an existing dating or engagement relationship, or a former dating or engagement relationship.

What is Stalking?

Stalking is any behavior in which someone repeatedly engages in conduct directed at a specific person which would cause a reasonable person to fear for their safety or the safety of others.  This policy intends to address repeated and unwanted attention, harassment, contact or other course of conduct that a reasonable person could construe as sexual or gender based in nature.

What is Sexual Harassment?

This includes unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, or other conduct of sexual nature, including verbal, nonverbal, or physical conduct that creates an environment that affects or interferes with a person's employment, work, education, and/or educational performance, and which a reasonable person would find to be intimidating, hostile, or offensive.